A disabled parking permit is required in California.

If you are disabled and live in California, you may be able to get a special license plate that will allow you to park in special spaces for the handicapped.To get either of these permits in California, you need to fill out a form and send in your doctor's certification.

Step 1: Determine if you are eligible for a California license.

The State of California will issue special parking permits for people who have impaired mobility due to having lost use of one or more lower limbs, or have a diagnosed disease that impairs or interferes with mobility.If you have documented visual problems, such as lower-vision or partial-sighted, you may qualify.

Step 2: It is a good idea to consider whether your disability is permanent or temporary.

If you have a condition that limits your mobility but will only last a few months, such as a broken leg, you may only need a temporary placard.This can be renewed up to six times.If your condition is permanent, you should apply for a permanent license.

Step 3: Take a look at the state eligibility requirements.

There is a list of conditions that can be included on the application form.

Step 4: You need to complete the application form.

California uses a form called Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates.You can get the application by using this link.Attesting to the information you have written on the form, sign your name in the appropriate places.

Step 5: There is a doctor's certification.

Take the completed application to your doctor or medical professional and have him or her complete the section for Doctor's Certification of Disability.The doctor should explain how your condition qualifies you for a handicapped permit.Medical professionals who can certify your disability include licensed physicians, surgeons, physician's assistants, nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives.In order to be exempt from the Doctor's Certification section of the application, disabled applicants must present themselves in person at the local Department of Motor Vehicles.

Step 6: The application should be submitted

You can submit your application by mail or in person.Send the completed application by mail.The box is in the state of California.You can submit your application in person.You can make an appointment by calling the Telephone Service Center, or you can use the online appointment service.

Step 7: The appropriate fees are included.

If you don't include the correct fee with your application, you will have to wait.A fee of $6.00 is required for a temporary placard.You have to surrender your original license plates if you want a permanent handicapped license plate.Wait until you get your new plates before returning the old ones.You still have to pay your registration fees.

Step 8: Know what your plate allows.

You can park at a green curb for unlimited time if you have aDP plate or placard.Limit time parking is usually designated by green curbs.For unlimited time, use the street parking meters.There are marked parking areas for resident only.

Step 9: Know what you can't do with your plate or placard.

You may not park in spaces with a crosshatched pattern next to a handicapped space if you have aDP plate or placard.There is space for a wheelchair lift in these areas.The curbs are red or yellow for emergency or loading zones.White curbs are for loading or unloading passengers.

Step 10: Do you know the rules about using a placard?

You can't lend your placard to someone else.You can't use someone else's placard.You can't display a counterfeit placard or plate.You can't change or deface a placard.

Step 11: A new application can be submitted.

You need to use the Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents if your placard has been lost or damaged.The form can be found on the California Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Step 12: If your placard has been damaged, you should return it.

Send back whatever you have if you only have parts of the original.Along with the application for the replacement, this is required.

Step 13: The appropriate replacement fee must be submitted.

You can call 800-777-0133 to find the current fee schedule.