The dangers of snow globes for dogs and cats are discussed here.

Our holiday aspiration is to have snow globes.A cute house, a perfectly trimmed tree, and a tiny snowman are some of the things that make up miniature spheres of joy.Bing Crosby promised a white Christmas once, and on occasion, they play a Christmas carols when it is dark.What happens when your child accidentally knocks over one of these decorations?Do you think the contents are as harmless as the scenery they portray?

A little known fact is that many snow globes are filled with a substance known as ethylene glycol, which is not full of water.Since "ingredients labels" aren't included with the accessories, it's hard to say which snow globes contain what.It is always better to play it safe if a snow globe breaks in your home.If you can, get any broken glass that can be harmful if stepped on or eaten, and do your best to quickly mop up any excess liquid that has spilled from the globe.It doesn't take much for your pet to become ill from eating ene glycol, which is an attractive snack to both dogs and cats.

It is used in snow globes and also in antifreeze, which is the most common route of exposure.EG is not the problem, but it is67531 into many toxic by-products, most notably oxalic acid, which can lead to injury to the kidneys.Clinical signs include nausea, vomiting, extreme lethargy/sedation, and a wobbly gait.Pets can seem normal after the initial clinical signs wear off, especially if a small amount is eaten.It can take up to 12 hours for a cat to show signs of failure, and 72 hours in a dog.If your pet was exposed to EG from a small amount in a snow globe to a large amount of straight antifreeze from the garage, do not hesitate to seek medical attention.The effects of signs ofrenal failure can be permanent.Emesis is not recommended the majority of the time since it can cause neurologic side effects and is absorbed so quickly.